Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 1:1-4
- Read 1 John chapter 1. Then, read verses 1-4 two or three times.
- Write down five observations from 1 John 1:1-4.
- What seems to be John’s emphasis in this passage? Consider the situation Paul warns about in Ephesus in Acts 20:28-35.
- Study the word “life” (zoe) at biblehub.com. How does this idea of life add meaning to John’s intended purposes (“that you may have fellowship with us”/ “that our joy may be complete”)?
- What encourages you from these verses? What challenges you?
Spiritual Exercise: John writes as a “spiritual father” to those who know the gospel, are trusting the gospel, and may be facing temptation to doubt or leave the essentials of the gospel. His testimony is powerful to give credibility to the message. Ask the Holy Spirit to direct you to either 1) write a letter to someone sharing some of your testimony to encourage them in their walk with Jesus or 2) pray with a friend who shares “fellowship” with you as a Christian but may have different beliefs on the non-essentials of the faith.