Pastor Steve Thomas
- Read Daniel 9 straight through. Then, read the prayer (vv.4b-19) out loud.
- Are there words which you do not understand in this chapter? If so, look them up here: https://www.studylight.org/dictionaries/ved.html
- What surprises you about Daniel’s prayer? What might you have expected him to be praying about or for?
- What words does Daniel use to describe God and God’s people?
- What words would you use to describe Daniel’s prayer? How come?
- Verse 13 provides a great description of repentance. What is involved in repenting? The Apostle Paul talks about “godly sorrow” and “worldly sorrow” in 2 Cor. 7:10. What is the difference? Why is repentance necessary for a right relationship with God (or anyone)?
- Where do you find grace in this chapter? How is God’s grace the hope on which Daniel cries out to God?
Spiritual Exercise: Practice this prayer. Take time each morning and evening to practice prayers of confession and intercession for both your sins and those of God’s church. If you struggle drawing near to God because of your sin, read Hebrews 10:22-25. Rejoice in God’s grace and turn to His face.