Pastor Steve Thomas
- Read through the book of Ruth. Re-read chapter 1 paying attention to the characters, plot, and dialogue. Note all the “turning” words.
- Watch this video for an overview of Ruth. What themes do you begin to see in chapter 1?
- Read Deuteronomy 32. Where do you see this chapter informing the context of Ruth 1?
- How would you describe Naomi? How can you relate to her?
- How would you describe the difference in hope between Orpah and Ruth? How do you relate to them?
- Paul prays for the eyes of our hearts to be opened so we can know (by experience) our hope. How do hope and heart relate? (Ephesians 1:18)
- How does the author of Ruth give glimmers of grace to fuel our hope?
- Spiritual Exercise: As you read Ruth 1, ask yourself how this chapter can encourage or exhort you in your life today. What would it look like for you to “return to Bethlehem” in your life?
2018 Advent Reading: Hope