Pastor Steve Thomas
- Read the book of Ruth. Pay close attention to the blessings and prayers of the characters. Re-read chapter 4. What are the two major scenes in chapter 4?
- How has God brought about restoration to Naomi and Ruth? Think specifically–what was lost, prayed for, and brought to them by God?
- Who can you relate to in this chapter? How come?
- What seems to be the central focus of the author? Is it Ruth’s love story? Naomi’s happiness? Or something else?
- What do you learn in this chapter about how to reflect God’s character in the world?
- Where do you see joy emerging in the story? How is joy responsive?
- Spiritual Exercise: Both Boaz and Ruth display gratuitous hessed (loving loyalty) even though it would have been reasonable to act differently. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you a specific opportunity in which you can choose to act with gratuitous hessed. Trust the Lord. Act in faith.
2018 Advent Reading: Joy