Pastor Steve Thomas
Leviticus 19:33-34; Psalm 68:6; John 1:1-5,9-14; Romans 12:13; Hebrews 13:2
- Read Psalm 68:6 and John 1:1-14. As you read, reflect upon the theme of hospitality.
- How is hospitality different from entertaining or planning and preparing food?
- Do you think Jesus was a safe person to have as a guest? How about as a host? Why?
- When was a time that someone’s hospitality made an impression on your life?
- Read Romans 12:1-13. Verses 1-2 call the Christian to live in response to the gospel and describe the ongoing transformative work of God’s grace as we respond… we become non-conformists who do gratefully do God’s will. This non-conformity to the world finds expression in many ways (12:3 – through the end of the letter lists many ways). One way Paul mentions in verse 13 is “Practice hospitality.” How is biblical hospitality a non-conformist practice in our cultural moment?
Spiritual Exercise: Memorize Hebrews 13:2. Every morning until Christmas recite the verse and ask the Holy Spirit to help you see a “stranger” who may need an act of hospitality. Act.