Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 4:1-6
- Read 1 John 4:1-6. What are the two commands?
- Read 1 John 1:1-5. How does John’s use of “we” here impact his writing “we” in 1 John 4:6? What are some ways these verses relate to Galatians 1:6-12?
- What are some reasons John tells us to distinguish the content of a message/teaching as opposed to the messenger, impact, etc.?
- What comforts you in this passage? How does it challenge you?
- Where do you see the need for this exhortation in your life today? What does the world want to hear today? What do we need to hear?
Spiritual Exercise: In prayer ask the Holy Spirit to reveal how to personally respond to John’s teaching. If the Holy Spirit reveals a need to reject false teaching you have been embracing about Jesus, act in faith and repent, turn to Christ, and get rid of the false teaching. If you are led to seek a better understanding of the true gospel, act in faith and study the Scriptures and ask a mature Christian for help. If you are led to rejoice, rejoice in the victory God has given you and His ongoing protection.