Pastor Steve Thomas
Daniel 1:1-7; Jeremiah 29:1-7
- Read Daniel 1:1-7 and consider their experience of entering exile. What did they lose and find? How would exile challenge their faith?
- Can you identify with any of the experiences of “exile” in your life? How? What are some reasons our experience is not a direct parallel with Daniel?
- How would you evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the various paradigms of exile? Have you experienced any of these for good or ill?
- Read Jeremiah 29:1-7. What did God call the exiles to do in Babylon? How does this inform your perception of being a Christian in Corvallis?
- Where is God in both Daniel 1:1-7 and Jeremiah 29:1-7? How does this give you hope in your “exile”?
Spiritual Exercise: The word “welfare” (ESV) or “peace” (NIV) is the Hebrew word “shalom”. Shalom means “wholeness” or “flourishing fullness”. Pray for wisdom to find a way you could help bring shalom into Corvallis this week and then follow the Spirit’s leading in faithful obedience.