Pastor Steve Thomas
Romans 1:15-16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-4; 1 Peter 2:9-12
- Read 1 Cor. 15:1-4. If you want, circle or underline key verbs and nouns.
- what is one word of phrase that stands out to you? why?
- How does the phrase “according to the Scriptures” function in the passage? How does it inform understanding the gospel and Old Testament?
- What are the ways Paul indicates believers relate to the gospel?
- What is the gospel? how would you summarize it?
- Pauil’s summary includes facts about Jesus and their meaning, but not Jesus’ ethical teaching. Why is this distinction vital to the Christian message of salvation by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone?
- Both in Corinth and Rome (Romans 1:15) Paul talks about preaching the gospel to Christians. What are some benefits to remindinfg Chrstians of the gospel? (c.f. Gal 1:6-8; 2:11-14)
- Spiritual Excercise: Pray for a chance to encouage a brother or sister in Christ with the hope, assurance, and power of the gospel.