Pastor Steve Thomas
Colossians 3:1-14; Matthew 18:21-35; Luke 15:11-32
- Read Colossians 3:1-14. Identify the statements or phrases that are facts/truths, past completed actions and ongoing actions.
- Fill in this blank: According to Colossians 3:1-14, I am supposed to actively work at ________. Fill in as many responses as you can find. What are the reasons you have to work at these?
- Lewis Smedes writes, “forgiveness happens when we rediscover the humanity of the person who hurt us, surrender our right to get even, and revise our feelings toward the person we forgive” (The Art of Forgiving). What correlations do you see between Paul’s clothes metaphor (Colossians 3:12-14) and Smedes’ understanding of forgiving?
- Is forgiving something you will yourself to do or must you feel like it? How do you discern when to “forebear” and when to “forgive”?
- Spiritual Exercise: In a time of prayer, read either the prodigal son story (Luke 15:11-32) or the unforgiving servant story (Matthew 18:21-35). Reflect on one of those passages and let the Holy Spirit impress the love and grace of God upon your heart. Is there someone you need to begin the heart work of forgiving? How will you start this work this week?