Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 1:5 – 2:1
- Study 1 John 1:5 – 2:1. Use Vine’s Dictionary of the New Testament to look up “light” and “darkness”. How is John using those words in v. 5 and how is this slightly different in v. 6-7?
- What do you think it means to “walk in the light” or “walk in the darkness”? Why can this not mean to live without sin?
- Do you think John saw being “in the light” as something to fear or something to find? Why? How does knowing the gospel affect our fear?
- How does this passage speak to the need for transparency? What is gained as we live transparently with God and each other? How have you experienced this?
- What qualities would a community of people have in which transparency was celebrated and safe?
- Study 2 Corinthians 1:1-11 as a case study for transparency. Where do you see Paul being transparent? How did this benefit Paul and his readers?
- Spiritual Exercise: Pray Psalm 139:23-24. If the Holy Spirit shines light into your heart and exposes a sin or struggle, identify a trusted friends, full of grace and truth, to whom you can confess the sin or share the struggle. Set up a meeting and go “walk in the light”.