Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 5:5-12
- Read 1 John 5:5-12 a few times. Circle or note the times John references Jesus.
- John says Jesus came “by the water and by the blood.” Both are equally important to understand the purpose of Jesus. Water represents Jesus’ ministry of baptism (washing and new birth) and blood represents sacrificial death. Why are both
needed to understand Jesus’ saving work? What happens if you exclude or
overemphasize one or the other?
- One’s belief about who Jesus is has eternal life consequences. How do these words help you understand what “believing in” Jesus means: Entrusting, Affirming,
Accepting, Embracing, Receiving. What words would you add?
- Who does John say has eternal life? If someone, or even yourself, wanted to know if they had eternal life, what would you say?
- What will you do in your life this week in response to this passage?
Spiritual Exercise: In prayer, consider the fullness of Jesus’ saving work bringing both forgiveness of sins (“by blood”) and new life (“by water”). Are you struggling to believe Jesus has covered and forgiven specific sins in your life? Are you struggling to believe that Jesus has set you apart for new life with Him? Confess your struggle to God and know that Jesus HAS COME both to forgive and to impart new life. Rest in Him.