Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 5:13-21
- Read 1 John 5:13-21. What does John say is his purpose for writing 1 John?
- Read John 17:3. What does it mean to have eternal life? How would you describe the difference between knowing about someone and knowing someone?
- John links our experience of assurance of eternal life with three areas—objective truth (Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God), love (to God and neighbor) and righteous living (obedience). If you, or someone you know, is struggling with assurance, how can knowing these three areas help you guide them to assurance?
- Idolatry is usually understood as worshiping figurines. Yet, idolatry is having your heart captured by something in creation rather than the creator. Idolatry is looking to find life in something God made not in God, leading to death not life. Where do you see idolatry in our culture? What are the affects of idolatry? How could you identify idolatry in your life or another Christian’s?
- In this passage John commands us to do something (5:21) and tells us that
Jesus is doing something (5:18). What does this teach you?
Spiritual Exercise: John calls us to action in two ways in this passage. 1) Pray for those whom you know are struggling in sin—who do you need to pray for? 2) Keep yourself from idols—what do you need to do to obey this command this week?