Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 2:28 – 3:10
- Read 1 John 2:28-3:10 two or three times.
- What is the deception John is warning the readers about?
- This passage can create unwarranted concern or can be too easily dismissed. Compare 1 John 1:6,8,10; 2:4,6,9 and 1 John 3:4-10. Assuming John is not contradicting himself, how do you make sense of his teaching?
- Use Biblehub.com to do a word study on “lawlessness” (anomia) or look up the word in Vine’s Dictionary (www.studylight.org). Is John making a reference to sin and the law of Moses or describing a type of person using this word? Why would this matter?
- The word “seed” is used by John in a powerful way in 3:9. Read 1 John 2:24, 27; 3:4; 4:12,15,16. What do you think the “seed abiding in you” is? Why is this powerful?
- Where do you find hope to carry on in this passage?
Spiritual Exercise: This week reflect on the “hope” we have as those twice born. One day, you will be like Christ is now. This is a great promise (Phi. 1:6)! Until then, we need to live out this hope. Memorize 2 Cor. 5:17 substituting “I am” instead of “if anyone is”. Write a personal prayer based on Gal. 5:16-17 and pray it each morning.