Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 5:1-5
Read 1 John 5:1-5
- What are some truths John asserts about a Christian?
- What surprises or comforts you in these verses? What challenges your thinking?
- Why do you think John says the way to love other Christians is to love God and do what God commands?
- How does the world (created order in opposition to God’s good rule) make obeying God’s commands heavy? How does this shape your understanding of freedom?
- How does love remove the “burden” of obedience in relationships in your life? Does love necessitate restriction? Does real freedom require constraint?
- Consider Romans 3:20 and Galatians 5:13. How do these verses relate to love,
freedom, and obeying God?
Spiritual Exercise: This week focus on seeing opportunities to act in self-sacrificial love toward a brother or sister in Christ. Be attentive to the Spirits’ leading to share your time, possessions, or words with another of God’s beloved. Act in faith.