Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 2:1-11
- Read 1 John 2:1-11 two or three times. What words stand out to you?
- Read John 14. What are some connections with 1 John 2:1-11?
- How do the following two statements differ? “If you obey Jesus He will love you.” “If you love Jesus you will obey Him.” Why is the distinction important?
- What are the commands John is thinking of (c.f. 1 John 3:23)? Do you think John is thinking about “commands” like traffic codes or decrees of God’s desires? Why?
- What are two ways that God is at work in a believer’s life in 1 John 2:1-11?
- Jesus commands us to “love” our brothers/sisters. How can you love someone who has hurt you? Does love require trusting or accepting? How might love and tolerance be antithetical at times?
- Spiritual Exercise: Find a way to remind yourself throughout the day to “walk as Jesus did” this week. Use the reminder to cultivate experiencing the presence of God in contemplation, conversation with Him, and obedience to His leading.