Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 4:7-12
- Read 1 John 3:11-18 and 4:7-12.What are some similarities?
- Word Study: Choose one of these three words to study through Biblehub.com or some other tool or site. What did you learn that helps you with this passage?
1) Love (ἀγάπη), 2) Propitiation (ἱλασμός), 3) Begotten (μονογενής).
- Think about the assertion: God is love. How is this different from saying “Love is God” or even “Love is love”? Why is this important?
- Is the phrase “God is love” something easy or challenging for you to believe? Why/why not? How do you deal with knowing God’s love in your personal life?
- Read Luke 7:36-50. Write down some things you learn about love. Note especially Jesus—what did he see, say, ask, and do? What does Jesus say to you in this story?
Spiritual Exercise: If you read enough about Jesus interacting with people you realize Jesus saw people differently, thought about them intentionally, and stopped to help routinely. He loved. This week, ask the Holy Spirit to change your eyes to see people like Jesus, your heart to think about people like Jesus, and your agenda to help people for Jesus. Who is Jesus helping you see? How can you love them?