Pastor Steve Thomas
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Spiritual Act of Worship
Reflect and pray for a day or more on these commands. Determine which of the three you believe God is asking you to focus on at this time in your life?
For the next ______ months I will focus on ___________________________.
- Look up verses which use this word (rejoice, pray, give thanks). Many Bibles have a key word index in the back. Read through the verses waiting for one to speak to you. Write it down. Memorize it. Try doing this once a week.
- Write a memorable short prayer expressing your desire to grow in obedience to the command you mentioned above. Pray it throughout your day.
- These commands represent part of “God’s will” for believers. How can you avoid legalistic thinking and resentful duty obedience in keeping them? What must stay at the forefront of your thinking? (c.f. 1 Thessalonians 1:4-5; 5:23-24)
- How would obeying this command impact your life?
- Brainstorm ways to keep fresh and active in pursuit of greater obedience to this goal. (Resources. People. Goals. Retreats. Etc.)
- What is your plan to begin each morning remembering to “practice”
this command? What will you do to keep aware of this command throughout your day?
- If you want, consider separating 2019 into thirds. Use each third to focus on developing obedience to one of the three commands.