Pastor Steve Thomas
1 John 1:5 – 2:2
- Read all of 1 John chapter 1. How are God, Jesus, and people described?
- Do a word study on either “sin” (hamartias),“righteousness” (dikaion), or “propitiation” (hilasmos). How did your study help you understand this passage?
- Describe a time you had to walk around in darkness. How does remembering that experience help you understand John’s point about our spiritual realities?
- Truth/falsehood and deception/reality are key themes in this passage. Who is deceived? Who is faithful? Who is true? How does justice fit with truth?
- Where is the hope and power for someone who is “walking in the light” when it comes to forgiveness and transformation? How do you find freedom and growth from sin in this passage?
- Spiritual Exercise: This week make a point of practicing 1 John 1:9. Pay attention to two things: 1) Is there a sin from your past you feel a need to keep confessing? 2) Do you sense a need to find cleansing from sins done to you? If so, find a trusted Christian friend, an elder or pastor, and ask for spiritual guidance to find freedom.